The Minnesota Robotics Institute (MnRI) is soliciting seed grant proposals for work that can lay the foundation for future large projects of transformative impact in the broad research areas of robotics, sensors and advanced manufacturing (RSAM).
Each proposal should involve multi-disciplinary collaboration between two or more Co-PIs and can involve fundamental or translational science and engineering—plus describe how the project will lead to submission of a future large grant proposal to NSF, NIH, or other government agencies or lead to other high impact outcomes.
The availability of matching funds from an industrial partner will be viewed favorably by the review committee but is not a necessary requirement. Budgets can range from $30,000 to $55,000 depending on the scope and potential impact of the proposed activity. Requests for higher amounts could be considered if proper justification is provided.
The proposal should contain the following sections:
- Cover page: Title of proposal, names, and contact information for PI and Co-PIs/Co-Is.
- Project Description: Three-page document including an Abstract (less than 250 words), Introduction, Intellectual Merit, Research Description, Key Milestones (including external grant proposal submission), Project Feasibility under COVID-19, and Timeline.
- Potential Impact Description: One-page document including descriptions of
- Future Impact: Plans for near-term submission of major grant proposals as a result of the work initiated in this seed project.
- Past Work: If you have received past MnRI or MnDRIVE funding, describe project results and any success with follow-on external grant submissions.
- References cited and support letters as appropriate.
- Budget for a project period of one year, starting spring semester 2022.
- Curriculum Vitae for PI and Co-PIs, two pages each.
- List of current and pending projects for PIs and Co-PIs.
Please use a minimum font size of 11 and one-inch page margins.
Submit your proposal as a single pdf file (including all sections) to firstname.lastname@example.org (Char Psihos) by Friday, Oct. 22, 2021. Please include in the title of the email the words "MnRI RFP."