These grants will serve to seed the development of collaborative projects between faculty and industrial partners across RSAM priority areas. The objective is to support industrial collaborations in which RSAM can play pivotal roles.
Awards will be made up to $50,000 in matching funds. The awards will be determined by the potential of the project to enhance and grow future industrial collaboration, the needs of the project, balancing priority RSAM areas, and the level of support provided by the industrial partner.
Two types of awards will be considered:
- Matching funds up to 1:1 partner:MnDRIVE for sponsored projects from industrial partners with whom the PI has not previously worked with (irrespective of the MnDRIVE Industrial Partnership matching program)
- Matching funds up to 2:1 partner:MnDRIVE for sponsored projects from industrial partners with whom the PI has previously worked with (irrespective of the MnDRIVE Industrial Partnership matching program)
While all proposals will be considered, the following lists some evaluation preferences:
- Cash contributions from the industrial partner
- The industrial partner, with a preference toward those located in Minnesota
- Balancing priority areas in robotics, sensing, and advanced manufacturing (RSAM)
- In-kind contributions from the industrial partner
The proposal should be limited to 2 pages and detail the following information:
- Novelty of the proposed work
- Fit to MnDRIVE (RSAM) (please be specific as to which area it fits best)
- Specific tasks
- A clear statement of the level of industrial partnership commitment, including a statement as to whether the PI has worked with the partner previously
- Future follow-on funding plans, which may include seeking external funding
In addition to the 2-page proposal, the following is required:
- Up to one page of references
- Commitment letter detailing industrial partner contributions
- 2 page CV(s) of the key personnel
- Budget and justification
- A list of current and pending support including internal funding
Use of funds for equipment, and/or in-kind equipment contributions, are not encouraged but may be considered. Faculty salaries are not allowed.
Proposals will be evaluated on a rolling basis throughout the coming academic calendar with the last round being Friday, 1 June 2018.
Finally, successful recipients of these grants will be required to:
- Submit periodic RSAM reports.
- Provide acknowledgment to the supporting donor (MnDRIVE and the industrial partner) in any subsequent publication or program publicity that may result from the project.
Submission process: Please submit the above information as a single PDF file (file size < 10 MB). Proposals not formatted exactly to the specifications above will be immediately returned. Email proposals to Char Psihos at: email@example.com